Monday, September 29, 2008

My First American Car?

Ford Focus 5-door

Okay. I have a confession to make. Most of my friends know me as a staunch conservative Republican, a meat-eating, suburban average Joe like millions of other 30-ish males across the country. But at the risk of sounding like a hypocrite, I've never owned an American car. One of them was American-built, but a foreign brand.



Ironically, some of the vehicles in my dream garage are American, and have been for some time. I have yearned for a Corvette since I was about 10 years old. It's still on my "wish list." Yet for the readily-attainable, buy-it-tomorrow models, the domestic manufacturers simply haven't gotten it together in terms of combining just the right combination of style, value, quality and performance that I've been looking for. They've come close, but none of them have hit the bullseye.

The first issue, is that up until recently, the Detroit 3 have avoided 5-doors like the plague. That just happens to be my favorite bodystyle for its unmatched practicality. I had high hopes for the Dodge Caliber when it was introduced, but was let down by its plasticky interior and pudgy weight. Ford just recently dropped the 3 and 5-door models of the Focus with its latest re-design, but supposedly will re-introduce them when the Euro-style model debuts for 2011.

Which brings me to the meat of this article. For the first time in quite a while, I think an American car could be a real contender for my automotive dollar. Granted, a lot of my hopes are driven by speculation and rumor, but what I'm seeing looks promising. I think I might just consider buying a new Focus when it's available. However, this is not an unconditional promise to Alan Mulally and friends. There are a few items I want to see on the model.

1) Sync - This has been such a runaway hit with the current Focus, it's a sure bet for the next model. I'll take it.

2) Powerful and Efficient Engine Options - EcoBoost sounds very promising, but a rumor I heard in the last few days about a 1-liter engine for the Focus leaves me yearning for more. Even with 15+ psi of boost crammed down its throat, I don't see a 1-liter engine producing much more than 130 horsepower. I'm sorry, I'm looking for some actual snappy performance with my new car. A 2-liter EcoBoost option on the Focus with between 220-250 horsepower would do nicely. Highway fuel economy of 30+ would be nice, too. I would also strongly consider a turbodiesel option. 150 horsepower and 240 lb./ft. of torque, and 40+ highway mpg sound like a reasonable benchmark.

3) Innovative Transmissions - Okay, this is the enthusiast geek in me coming out. Most consumers could probably care less about transmissions, but they're kind of a big deal for me. I'd like to have the choice of a double-clutch 6-speed, a traditional manual, and maybe a CVT. If it came down to two, the double-clutch and manual would be good options.

4) Premium Features - Okay, this is a rather hackneyed turn of phrase around automakers. Everything from "plush" carpeting to multicolored interior lighting has been called a "premium" feature. But to borrow a phrase from former Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart, "I know it when I see it." For me, premium features include an available in-dash Navigation system, Bluetooth connectivity (in Ford's case, bundled with Sync), optional HID or LED headlamps, and 4-wheel disc brakes. Power, heated or memory seats aren't "must-haves" in my book, especially not in the compact class. Give me the real goods that will make a difference in my daily drive.

5) Value for Money - I don't expect a fully pimped-out Focus to be $15,000. With the right equipment, I would be perfectly happy paying around $25,000 for a well-equipped compact. Mini has proven that you can sell a small car with premium features and make money. It seems the domestics are just now starting to realize this.

So, Alan. Do we have a deal? Should I put my name down now for a 2011 Focus EcoBoost 2.0 dual-clutch 5-door with Sync, Nav, HIDs and performance suspension?

No comments:

Post a Comment